The Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 will be the must-see sporting event of the summer. Ten international teams will be competing, including Pakistan, with each team will playing nine matches against their rivals before the top four teams progress to the semi-finals and final.
Between 30 th May and 14 th July, a total of 48 matches will be played and televised, and your customers will want to watch as many as they can, especially if the Pakistani team is playing (Which will happen 9 times, and possibly more if they make it to the semi-finals!)
First thing’s first:
- If your restaurant has the capability to screen the match, make sure you have a large enough screen to display the matches! Make sure to place it in a way that everyone can see the action, no matter where they are sitting. Staff should be able to keep track of the action, too, so that they can monitor when there might be a rush of orders, or a rush for the washrooms.
- Decorate your restaurant along a cricket theme – put up pictures and memorabilia, hang clothing from the ceiling, you could even think about having a cricket-themed playlist (believe it or not there are quite a few!) Or you could play evergreen Pakistani gems like: ‘Hai Jazba Junoon’ to keep the diners pumped up! A World Cup inspired menu where the platters are named after cricket players ('The Azam Platter' or 'Afridi Double') could also add a further fun twist to your restaurant.
- Get the staff involved so that everyone is in the mood – provide waiting staff with team colours (Pakistan’s, or vary it according to the match being played that day), or fancy dress (such as cricket whites), so that they can be picked out in the crowd.
- Run some irresistible food and beverage promotions and offers throughout the tournament. Activate promotions (such as the ones listed below) well before each match begins to lure more customers in.
So… What Kind of Offers and Promos Will Work?
Use your imagination! And your unique knowledge of your customer base. But here are some tried and tested ideas to get you started:
- Tempt customers in with great promos such as buy one and get the Free Hit of the Day!, buy-one-get-one-half-price. Combination platters that will encourage large groups of friends through your doors.
- Offer specials that you might not normally have on the menu, such as drinks pitchers, sharing plates, and event themed food
- Run some cricket-themed competitions to engage your diners (e.g. a quiz, raffles, Fantasy League, or predictions of scores) use the prizes to keep customer interested in coming back: A voucher to spend at your restaurant during the NEXT match (or at some point later in the tournament)
- Everyone loves free stuff! Give away FREE or CHEAP MERCHANDISE that promotes your restaurant, and may trigger repeat visits: t-shirts, caps, keyrings and so on.
- Create a fantasy cricket league to retain loyalty – give customers extra drinks or snacks whenever their team does well, like having their opposing team’s batsman is out-bowled. This will foster that sense of camaraderie between you and your customers and keep bring them back to your restaurant throughout the tournament.
These strategies will all go towards creating a fun, engaging atmosphere. Establish some great traditions now, and people will remember you for next time.
Time is on Your Side
Remember, a cricket match is a long leisurely affair – take advantage and keep your food offers running throughout the day. Limited time offers (LTOs) can be flagged on social media and in your shop-front and will drive purchases – people won’t want to miss out!
- An LTO during the lunch/tea break (e.g. all dishes half price, buy one get one 50% off!)
- Tweak the names of your top selling dishes after the 10 teams playing (give customers a stamp card – for every five they try they get one free, and if they manage all 10 consider a bigger reward).
- Combination meals with fun cricket-themed names, e.g. Double Sixer, Century Offer, Partnership of a Lifetime, Free Hit, or Cricket Dhamaka etc.
Want more great tips?